Monday, September 04, 2006

The End of Things...My Last Free Summer

Sometimes you just know when a part of your life as you it know will never be the same again. I'm talking about summer vacation. Tonight is the last night of my last summer vacation ever. I'm going to miss the hell out of 'em, I'll say that. And I also don't mind saying that my summer kicked some serious tail (pardon the language), and I don't mind saying it.

(A tail kicking good time)

The Grand Finale to my summer was Yosemite and Hiking Mt. Whitney with my Pops.

The Yosemite troops: Katattack, Joe, Josh, Kevin

The Half-Dome hike is nothing short of sensational. One of the most beautiful hikes in the world. The hike is 17 miles round trip.

Then the next week I climbed Mt. Whitney with my Dad, Jon, and Emily (4:30 am). Mt. Whitney is the tallest mountain in the lower 48. Round trip hike: 22 miles.

Emily is checking out the 97 switchbacks leading to the ridge crest and Dad thinking it would probably only take him 97 seconds if he were hiking alone.

Here's Dad "summiting" Whitney. One slip and he would plumet in free fall thousands of feet to his death. This guy is a rock and never tires.

The Top! 14,497.8 feet. 5 hours later I will vomit all over the trail.

The next day my Dad and I drove up to Yosemite and took the afternoon to free-climb El Capitan. 3,000 vertical feet of sheer granite. Don't believe me? Just ask my Mom, she'll tell you.

Still don't believe me? Here is hard photo evidence of us climbing a chimney crack about 2,ooo feet up. Besides, Captain Kirk free climbed it in Star Trek V, so it is doable.

Next we went to the land of the giants, Sequoia National Park, where they have some fatty trees.

Sequoia Facts: These fatties can tip the scales at 2.7 million lbs., grow nearly 300 ft. tall with branches up to 8 ft. thick, and live over 3,000 years!! We climbed these suckers too.

Well that was the end of my final free summer of all time until heaven. When I go to bed tonight they will cease to exist.

Now I remember the good times. I look forward to good times to be had. I get ready to meet the challenges ahead. I long to do it all over again.

If you're still reading, then you must be family.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

-sniff-

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet action my friend! It makes me smile to see that you were on half-dome. Although I haven't seen you in ages...we are connected...we held those same cables and stood on the same "diving board"! Summer 2006 was pretty much awesome! I wish you the best with school this year but I'm positive that you will do great.
Blessings- Tif

9:46 PM  
Blogger P said...

yay, i'm family. :)

I love the first pic, but it totally makes me nervous too.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

El Capitan! AND the big trees! Dad only said Mt Whitney. Just wait till we talk!
Free summers gone? Just always learn to grab the moment you are in and and let joy come to that - and keep awesome memories - new memories all the time.
Kinda reminds me of "never again will he be in grade school...or he never will really be home to stay again" Now that's something that'll grab a heart! Pass the tissues please
Love you much, pds

7:03 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

What?! I'm not family. I'm just some guy; some guy you know. That's all.

You're right though. Captain Kirk totally free climbed that mountain. And Mr. Spock just flew by in is jet-powered ski boots. Talk about a sweet movie...

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home